Saturday 14 April 2018

Module 5 Chapter 10. Stitching to translate

In this chapter the task has been to translate some of the rubbings from the previous chapter into stitchery using mainly one stitch for each whilst bringing in as many variations as needed to achieve the desired effect.Threads and yarns  of different thicknesses and texture also add to the end result.

It was a matter of identifying a simple shape consistent through out the rubbing and choosing a stitch
to represent it. This was intriguing as the rubbings reveal very different markings. I also did some rubbings on fabric and then stitch into those which was very effective.

10.1 Stitched translation of rubbing of tissue paper relief representing Teasels
The rubbing of the teasels bore some resemblance to the paper relief showing longitudinal marks diagonally and vertically across the sample.
For this I used Chain Stitch in its many variations including detached chain, elongated detached chain some with long or short tails, and a twisted chain to couch the stems.
It is worked over a rubbing on chiffon over linen. I’m really pleased with this and the rubbing adds a beautiful ethereal feel.
Threads used are rayon ribbon, fine crochet cotton and cotton perle.

There is a fabric rubbing in the surround [top right] on polycotton.
You may have noticed that I've placed the chiffon on the linen the wrong way round so the teasels are placed opposite ways to the rubbing but I didn't have the heart to undo it!





10.2 Stitched translation of rubbings scrunched tissue and chocolate box paper relief representing Ivy, stick & undergrowth
A stitched sample worked in Double Knot or Palestrina Stitch on linen.
This was inspired by the knotted appearance of the rubbing [top left]. I was fascinated by how different in appearance this was from the paper relief and loved the feeling of rhythm and movement it brought to the work.
The threads used were silk yarn, Gutterman polyester machine thread, rayon ribbon, linen thread, cotton perle and a wool yarn.
I have included some rubbings on fabric as the surround which are : centre right – Markel stick on linen; bottom right Markel stick on polycotton and centre Markel stick on chiffon over linen.




10.3 Stitched translation of rubbings of scrunched and folded tracing and grease proof paper relief representing an Ivy Clad Ditch
Again the rubbings gave a different impression to the paper relief and suggestive of arrows shooting off in every direction hence my choice of Arrow Stitch worked in various sizes and directions in strips of Chinese silk plus single and double thickness linen thread.
There is a rubbing on polycotton fabric on the centre right.
I certainly had to look harder at the rubbing as I stitched on the bare fabric.


  


10.4 Stitched translation of rubbings of strips of gathered copy paper relief to represent Cow Parsley
I was delighted with this rubbing. I adore cow parsley and the sight of it immediately transports me home to the Somerset Levels!
Fly Stitch instantly revealed itself to me and I decided to use it as I had in my informal sample [chapter 9] in a clockwise fashion to form circles, other stitches are worked around the edges according to the rubbing.
I’ve used linen threads of different thicknesses
I worked on the polycotton rubbing to demonstrate the effect as I’d already used the chiffon in sample 10.1 although I think the rubbing on chiffon on the left surround is really beautiful, I’d use this instead in the future as I think it captures the fairyland feel that cow parsley can give.






I'm really proud of the work in the last 3 chapters and I'm looking forward to the next and the challenges it brings as I work towards the final piece.

3 comments:

  1. These are lovely Carrie. I think we're 'neck & neck'! Its lovely to see how the textures have evolved into stitch x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Carrie! I love how you have displayed them so that the link to the rubbings is immediately obvious. Can't wait to reach this chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Really enjoying this & starting to think about my resolved sample. Hope to finish by Summer School. Xxxxx

      Delete